Thursday 30 April 2015

Swim Deep - One Great Song And I Could Change The World (Review)

Swim Deep

One Great Song And I Could Change The World - Review




To be perfectly honest, when I first heard Swim Deep, I didn't think much of them. I mean, they had one or two singles that I thought were pretty catchy and relatively enjoyable, but apart from that they stayed fairly off my radar. I figured after the release of their mediocre first album, 'Where The Heaven Are We', that was the end of them, and they'd disappear into the masses of bland indie bands to come before them.

However, I couldn't have been more wrong.

On their most recent single, One Great Song And I Could Change The World, Swim Deep have swapped their carefree generic indie summer-y sound for a far more mature, synth based sound, sounding more like an amalgamation of Jagwar Ma, Tame Impala and The Horrors than their previous selves. The result is a wonderful concoction of Austin Williams high vocals over a seriously groovy drum beat with an overall more psychedelic feel.

This is a track that truly showcases how much Swim Deep have grown as a band in the past two years, and has successfully managed to make their second album one of the most thoroughly anticipated of the year in my books.

Listen to the single here:

No comments:

Post a Comment