Friday 17 April 2015

Undertow Review

Album Review

Drenge - Undertow


I fell in love with Drenge's debut album upon first listen. Nothing quite appealed to my fifteen year old self as the unbridled angst and anger of it. With two years elapsed since then, I must admit I had developed some skepticism regarding Drenge. I was worried they'd be a one trick pony, but to say Undertow did a away with my fears is an understatement.

Opening with the slow building Introduction leading up into the growling unbridled beast of Running Wild, this is an album that is a new breed of animal. Highlights of the album definitely include the impossibly fast and rowdy Favourite Son, as well as the drudgy, heavy The Woods. Standing In The Cold's air of desperation crafts it into a perfect ode to messed up love. Eoin Loveless' vocals have never been more on point, and the addition of Rob Graham on bass has pushed Drenge to unparalleled levels of excellence. While there may be no single song to rival, say, the majesty of Let's Pretend, the album as a whole works far better as a unit than Drenge's debut.

On the whole, I'd give this album a solid and well-deserved 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment