Monday 20 April 2015

Top 7 BBCR1 Live Lounge Covers

Top 7 BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge Covers

I have a deep set love for Live Lounge covers. I've always thought it to be such a genius idea, pushing bands out of their comfort zones by covering songs you'd never think they would. I've often thought pulling off a cover to be an artform in it's own right, setting apart decent bands from those who can make the cover their own, the ones who are truly great. Here are seven of my absolute favourites in no particular order, feel free to agree or disagree. (Click on the links below each song to listen)

1) Arctic Monkeys - Love Machine


A classic really, Arctic Monkeys take on Girls Aloud's Love Machine is a fun, light heart, thoroughly enjoyable listen.

Arctic Monkeys - Love Machine

2) London Grammar - Wrecking Ball

A haunting take on the Miley Cyrus number, Hannah Reid's soaring and pure vocals take this song to a whole new level.

3) The Horrors - Best Thing I Never Had

The Horrors covering Beyonce is something I never believed I'd live to see, but here it is. A strange, synth-y take on the song, you'll either love it or you'll hate it.

4) Lana Del Rey - Goodbye Kiss

Lana Del Rey is one of my absolute favourite singers, and Goodbye Kiss one of my absolute favourite Kasabian songs, so I think my love for this one is a given. Lana's deep, haunting vocals suit this song to the core, adding a new dimension to this tune.

5) Biffy Clyro - Umbrella

Biffy Clyro are the undisputed kings of Live Lounge covers in my humble opinion, with their covers of Diane Young, Love Sex Magic and Take Me Out being particularly noteworthy. However, there's just something about this cover of Rhianna's classic and the way Simon Neil pours his heart into it that puts it above the rest.

6) Peace - Doing It

Even Charli XCX herself admits this cover is better than the original. PEace are at their best covering pop.

7) Foals - Hollaback Girl

Of all Live Lounge covers, this is my number one. Foals covering Gwen Stefani, what's not to love?! Rather a lot of lyrics from the original song missing, but the Oxford boys more than make up for it in pure passion. Yannis ain't no hollaback girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment